1951 - In February, representatives from Orange Presbytery, Church of the Covenant, and First Presbyterian Church began work toward the organization of a Presbyterian church in west Greensboro.
1952 - Construction of a chapel began in August on land given by Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Weaver. An invitation was extended to all interested people and on November 16, meeting at Church of the Covenant, the new church was formally organized with 96 people received into membership. On the following Sunday, the name Starmount Presbyterian Church was officially adopted.
1953 - In February Dr. Frank Elder came to serve as temporary supply pastor and regular worship services were held at First Moravian Church. In March the new building was in use and on May 17 the structure was dedicated; the charter roll was closed at 263. In August the Rev. Allen C. McSween was called as first pastor. Starmount’s Women of the Church was organized with Mrs. R. M. Jackson (Nevlyn) as president.
1954 - The first fundraising campaign was held, a manse was purchased on Waverly Way, and the church’s property was increased by 50 percent through a gift of land from the J. P. Stevens Company. Ozelia and Walter Vassar continued their work as church organist and choir director.
1956 - Construction began in March on a building providing office space, Sunday School rooms, and a pastor’s study. The new building was dedicated on the church’s fourth anniversary with the membership at 533.
1957 - Mildred Mallard came in August as Starmount’s first Director of Christian Education. Plans were begun for a kindergarten.
1958 - Starmount’s kindergarten opened for students.
1960 - In March Boy Scout Troop 120 was organized at Starmount and in the summer, the first Vacation Bible School was held with an average daily attendance of 100.
1961 - In November the last phase of planned construction began to draw the two existing buildings together and to provide additional Sunday School rooms, a kitchen, fellowship hall, prayer room, and parlor.
1963 - A planning committee for a larger sanctuary was appointed with Mack Arnold, Sr. as chairman, and a manse was purchased on Nutbush Road West.
1964 - Starmount’s first female elder, Mrs. Joseph Vincent (Willene) was elected.
1965 - In June the Rev. Carl May became Starmount’s first associate pastor. The Women of the Church presented their first honorary life membership to Mrs. Daniel T. Caldwell (Cora).
1966 - Mrs. Sam D. Scott (Lib) was elected as Starmount’s first female deacon.
1968 - The congregation was composed of 958 members.
1970 - The new sanctuary, which more than doubled the seating capacity for worship, was dedicated in May.
1971 - Dr. Joseph Garrison served as interim pastor from January until June. The Rev. G. Daniel McCall was then installed as senior pastor in July.
1972 - In September the Rev. Ernest Johnson, III, became associate pastor.
1976 - Dr. Garrison again served as interim pastor before the Rev. George C. Carpenter began as senior pastor in November.
1977 - The Rev. Benjamin West became associate pastor in September.
1978 - Starmount’s membership was 977.
1979 - Michael Rudd became organist/choir director in July. Starmount’s preschool opened with Susan White as director.
1980 - Starmount began its involvement in refugee resettlement with a group from Laos. In the following years, this work has helped refugees from Vietnam (Montagnards and Nung), Bosnia, Somalia, Kosovo, and Sudan.
1982 - Martha Lou Anderson came as director of Christian education, and Robert Blocker took over as choir director/organist in May.
1983 - Loretta G. James became director of music ministries in September.
1985 - The first of the Bach’s Lunch series was held in March. In June Krista Lovell began her service as director of Christian education.
1986 - Dr. Cynthia R. Higgins became associate pastor in December, after having earlier served as interim associate.
1987 - In August a group of adults and youth went to Peto, Mexico, on a mission of teaching and building; subsequently, mission trips to Peto were taken every other year until 1997.
1988 - Leslie McLeod began her service as director of Christian education. Under the leadership of Carol Carpenter, the OWLS (Older, Wiser, Livelier Seniors) was formed.
1989 - Starmount’s participation in building Habitat for Humanity homes was begun. “Slicers and Duffers”, interested men golfers at Starmount, had their first outing.
1990 - John Truitt, Jr., began work as interim pastor in March.
1991 - In May Dr. James. E. Layman was installed in senior pastor.
1992 - Debra Paulsen and Cynthia Bathgate came in July to share Christian education duties—Debra for adults and Cynthia for children and youth. Starmount celebrated its 40th anniversary in November with 1243 members.
1993 - John Truitt rejoined the staff as parish associate in January. In September a class for baptized children who desired to participate in the sacrament of communion was begun.
1994 - Bonnie Lamberth arrived as director of educational ministries in March. Also in March, our first Stephen ministers were commissioned after lengthy training with John Truitt. That same month, ground was broken for extensive renovations and additions to the existing physical plant. Starmount’s leadership changed to a unicameral system of governance. In July Dr. Erich W. Thompson began his service as associate pastor.
1995 - In January the recently completed addition/renovation was dedicated; it included more office space, up-to-code preschool and parents’ morning out rooms, enlarge library, and a columbarium. Space was left for an elevator which was soon installed.
1997 - Dr. John A. Wilkerson began serving as interim pastor in January. Our year-end statistical report showed membership at 728.
1998 - Dr. Michael Shelton came as senior pastor in June.
1999 - In the summer, a group of youth and adults went on a worship and work mission to La Romano, Dominican Republic.
2000 - Susan McConnell began her work as director of educational ministries in July. In September Starmount joined 12 other Greensboro churches in GIHN (Greensboro Interfaith Hospitality Network) to house homeless families.
2001 - A relationship was formed in Iquitos, Peru, resulting in a summer work mission there; a return trip is planned for 2003.
2002 - Starmount celebrated its Jubilee. Jane Whitlow joined the staff as music assistant. Starmount launched its first website.
2003 - The chapel was renovated. Starmount moved from two pastors to one.
2004 - Dr. Carl Utley came to Starmount as interim pastor. Mary McNeal joined the staff as a parish visitor to help with pastoral care. Starmount went from two services to one at 10:00 a.m.
2005 - Many “new” things happened: new website, new logo, new mission statement (Called to worship, empowered to serve). The debt on the last building addition was retired. The Prayer Shawl Ministry began.
2006 - The Reverend John Odom was welcomed to Starmount staff. Susan White, founder and director of our preschool, retired after more than 25 years.
2007 - Starmount welcomed Cynthia Pugh as new parish visitor. Starmount purchased a 15-passenger van and held the first Blessing of the Animals and celebrated Starmount’s 55th anniversary. Bob Overman joined the staff as director of music ministries. Peter Hazelrigg, UNCG campus minister, became a parish associate for Starmount.
2008 - Starmount embarked on a $974,000 Capital Campaign, Faithfulness to All Generations, to revitalize the 40 year old sanctuary, provide funding for a director of youth, evangelism and family ministries, and provide additional resources for a growing program life. The church raised a total of $876,000 and in November began construction on the sanctuary while worship services were held in the Fellowship Hall. The church also started the Guinness and the Good News program for young adults.
2009 - The beautiful, technologically advanced sanctuary was opened for services on Palm Sunday, April 5. A palm procession from the Fellowship Hall to the enlarged narthex was cumulated with a ribbon cutting ceremony. A service of rededication of the sanctuary and a Homecoming luncheon were held on May 3. The gathering enjoyed opening a Time Capsule which had been placed in the sanctuary wall in 1969. On May 9, the Mission Committee began work on a community garden, and on July 6, Reverend Kathryn Campbell joined the staff as associate pastor.
2010 - Starmount helped to establish two egg farms in Kananga, Congo, sent mission teams to New Orleans, Jacksonville, FL, and Congo, received the gift of a Steinway "B" piano for use in the sanctuary, sponsored our first seminary student in many years, became a host site for concerts for the Eastern Music Festival and the Bel Canto Company, and continued improvements to the physical plant including the resurfacing of the parking lot.